From: lxnay@××××××××××××.org
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: better support for binary packages
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 09:23:24
1 On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Philipp Riegger <lists@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi Duncan,
5 > And all this layer thing Fabio was talking about. I did not try it and I
6 > did not read the code, but I think it makes things much more
7 > complicated. See also the discussion about mixing package managers
8 > between Gentoo and Sabayon. I do not want these problems.
11 incorrect. Give it a spin ;)
12 Problems we have were *only* related to Portage world file handling, fixed some time ago. I am sorry to say that the issue reported here doesn't seem to be valid.
13 Of course, if you mix both, you need to pay attention to not change USE flags (for eg.) that trigger libraries compilation, but that's a known binary-world problem.
14
15 I agree with you that there could be some more room for improvements here and there (especially in kernel module ebuilds), but with EAPI=2 we're going in the right direction.
16
17 > Philipp
25 Fabio Erculiani