From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: better support for binary packages
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 17:08:15
1 lxnay@××××××××××××.org wrote:
2 > On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Philipp Riegger <lists@××××××××××××.de>
3 > wrote:
4 >> See also the discussion about mixing package managers
5 >> between Gentoo and Sabayon. I do not want these problems.
6 >
7 > incorrect. Give it a spin ;)
8 > Problems we have were *only* related to Portage world file handling,
9 > fixed some time ago. I am sorry to say that the issue reported here
10 > doesn't seem to be valid.
11 > Of course, if you mix both, you need to pay attention to not change USE
12 > flags (for eg.) that trigger libraries compilation, but that's a known
13 > binary-world problem.
14
15 So are we going to discuss this or not?
16 To quote your own words back at you:
17
18 > This is gentoo-dev and you are OFF TOPIC.
19
20 > Next time, please post Sabayon specific stuff on our ML/com. channels.
21
22 ...
23
24 *If* you want to promote entropy/equo (or other sabayon work) as a
25 possible solution here, you should be open to discuss its shortcomings.
26 If not, then you should refrain from bringing it up again.
27
28 To get back on topic: I think portage's current binary support works
29 reasonably well, based on some experience I have with building packages
30 for a second, slower machine. But I can see there are shortcomings,
31 mainly in the described problem of storing multiple versions of a binpkg
32 (with different useflags etc.).
33
34 I agree with Duncan that we do not want a change of focus away from
35 being a source-based distribution, but then that is not a change you
36 would be able to "sell" to the current developers anyway. That said,
37 there could very well be a Gentoo project, or people contributing to
38 portage development, to try and improve binary package support.
41 Ben de Groot
42 Gentoo Linux developer (qt, media, lxde, desktop-misc)
43 Gentoo Linux Release Engineering PR liaison