From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: fsmove to profiles/updates
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 13:11:45
1 Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > I suggest, that due to the volatility of such actions, a user should
3 > have to approve each bulk move before it is done, to avoid breaking
4 > things.
5
6 Further thoughts about this:
7
8 * The move is needed for some reason.
9
10 * The person running emerge will in the common case not know the
11 details; so they are in a bad position to make any decision on
12 the matter.
13
14 * There will without a doubt be cases when things break regardless of
15 how clever the users are.
16
17 Rather than adding a prompt for the user to have to care about
18 (everyone will answer yes all the time or no all the time anyway)
19 I suggest that the action be made easy to undo, so that when
20 something breaks it is possible and indeed easy to roll it back.
21
22 Not so easy to say what else must be rolled back together with the
23 fsmove!
24
25 Personally I hate eselect news, I would much like to disable it. I
26 prefer not adding more of the same. If an action is neccessary then
27 go ahead and do it automatically, but make it easy to undo, and undo
28 automatically on failure, as well as allow me to undo when I find a
29 problem.
32 //Peter