From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Current portage will now truncate your repo's git history to 1
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2022 01:08:12
1 Florian Schmaus posted on Thu, 15 Dec 2022 21:40:19 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 15/12/2022 21.10, Toralf Förster wrote:
4 >> On 12/15/22 20:22, Florian Schmaus wrote:
5 >>> o use PORTDIR_OVERLAY and multiple repositories on their system: a
6 >>> system-wide, managed by portage, and a dev repository (in your HOME),
7 >>> scoped in via PORTDIR_OVERLAY.
8 >>
9 >> Isn't this covered by /etc/portage/repos.conf/*
10 >
11 > Absolutely, but this requires a manual intervention from the user. And,
12 > of course, you can totally opt-out from portage managing (syncing) the
13 > repository, but then you have to take care of syncing yourself.
14 >
15 > The point is that with the new portage release, portage's behavior
16 > changes. And I would argue that portage should not, in its effort to
17 > become more user friendly, disregard ebuild-developer friendliness.
18 > Assuming it is achievable with a reasonable amount of additional code
19 > complexity.
20
21 This bit me too, and making things worse, the truncate killed the git
22 history that presumably had the answer I needed to fix it up.
23 =:^( Fortunately I had a bit of a clue due to preemptively following the
24 portage changelog where I had seen a hint, so I was able to dig it up
25 again without the git log help that's definitely now my first instinct.
26
27 Long story short and for the record, manual intervention indeed and I wish
28 it had at least come with a news item, but here's the magic that fixed it
29 for me.
30
31 I had one of these previously, IIRC clone depth, but both are now needed.
32 I put these in the [DEFAULT] section here because I run several overlays
33 and I "want" access to proper git logs and history by default. (FWIW
34 "want" is the polite, cooled down, version; the situation was considerably
35 more sweary when I lost that history and instinctively I tried to look in
36 the git history for why, but of course it was GONE!)
37
38 repos.conf, [DEFAULT] (or [gentoo]) section:
39
40 clone-depth = 0
41 sync-depth = 0
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman