From: Brian Evans <grknight@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Current portage will now truncate your repo's git history to 1
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2022 04:01:21
1 On 12/15/22 20:08, Duncan wrote:
2 > Florian Schmaus posted on Thu, 15 Dec 2022 21:40:19 +0100 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> On 15/12/2022 21.10, Toralf Förster wrote:
5 >>> On 12/15/22 20:22, Florian Schmaus wrote:
6 >>>> o use PORTDIR_OVERLAY and multiple repositories on their system: a
7 >>>> system-wide, managed by portage, and a dev repository (in your HOME),
8 >>>> scoped in via PORTDIR_OVERLAY.
9 >>>
10 >>> Isn't this covered by /etc/portage/repos.conf/*
11 >>
12 >> Absolutely, but this requires a manual intervention from the user. And,
13 >> of course, you can totally opt-out from portage managing (syncing) the
14 >> repository, but then you have to take care of syncing yourself.
15 >>
16 >> The point is that with the new portage release, portage's behavior
17 >> changes. And I would argue that portage should not, in its effort to
18 >> become more user friendly, disregard ebuild-developer friendliness.
19 >> Assuming it is achievable with a reasonable amount of additional code
20 >> complexity.
21 >
22 > This bit me too, and making things worse, the truncate killed the git
23 > history that presumably had the answer I needed to fix it up.
24 > =:^( Fortunately I had a bit of a clue due to preemptively following the
25 > portage changelog where I had seen a hint, so I was able to dig it up
26 > again without the git log help that's definitely now my first instinct.
29 Thankfully, if anyone does accidentally gets shallowed, just executing
30 'git fetch --unshallow' will revert the default '--depth 1'
31
32 I really don't care for that 'git clean' patch. If that makes it in
33 without a way to opt-out, it will be patched out for me personally.
34
35 Brian

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature