From: John Helmert III <ajak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Current portage will now truncate your repo's git history to 1
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2022 01:52:19
1 On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 11:01:13PM -0500, Brian Evans wrote:
2 > On 12/15/22 20:08, Duncan wrote:
3 > > Florian Schmaus posted on Thu, 15 Dec 2022 21:40:19 +0100 as excerpted:
4 > >
5 > >> On 15/12/2022 21.10, Toralf Förster wrote:
6 > >>> On 12/15/22 20:22, Florian Schmaus wrote:
7 > >>>> o use PORTDIR_OVERLAY and multiple repositories on their system: a
8 > >>>> system-wide, managed by portage, and a dev repository (in your HOME),
9 > >>>> scoped in via PORTDIR_OVERLAY.
10 > >>>
11 > >>> Isn't this covered by /etc/portage/repos.conf/*
12 > >>
13 > >> Absolutely, but this requires a manual intervention from the user. And,
14 > >> of course, you can totally opt-out from portage managing (syncing) the
15 > >> repository, but then you have to take care of syncing yourself.
16 > >>
17 > >> The point is that with the new portage release, portage's behavior
18 > >> changes. And I would argue that portage should not, in its effort to
19 > >> become more user friendly, disregard ebuild-developer friendliness.
20 > >> Assuming it is achievable with a reasonable amount of additional code
21 > >> complexity.
22 > >
23 > > This bit me too, and making things worse, the truncate killed the git
24 > > history that presumably had the answer I needed to fix it up.
25 > > =:^( Fortunately I had a bit of a clue due to preemptively following the
26 > > portage changelog where I had seen a hint, so I was able to dig it up
27 > > again without the git log help that's definitely now my first instinct.
30 > Thankfully, if anyone does accidentally gets shallowed, just executing
31 > 'git fetch --unshallow' will revert the default '--depth 1'
32 >
33 > I really don't care for that 'git clean' patch. If that makes it in
34 > without a way to opt-out, it will be patched out for me personally.
35 >
36 > Brian
37
38 By "that 'git clean'" patch, do you mean [1]? Why are you speaking as
39 if you're talking about a 3rd party and not people that are also on
40 the gentoo-dev mailing list? It seems like the more productive thing
41 to do would be to at least offer substantive criticism about a
42 specific PR, maybe even in the PR itself.
43
44 While I'm at it: you used to be reachable on IRC, but you never
45 migrated away from Freenode. Why? It seems like every few days someone
46 is looking for you only to be surprised that you're not in Gentoo's
47 IRC community anymore.
48
49 [1] https://github.com/gentoo/portage/pull/939