From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in sys-apps/iproute2: ChangeLog iproute2-2.6.24.20080108.ebuild
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 06:21:49
1 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> posted
2 200803302039.14615.vapier@g.o, excerpted below, on Sun, 30 Mar
3 2008 20:39:14 -0400:
4
5 > there is no package-manager specificness here. it's already completely
6 > doable from a user perspective, just having it in the ebuild makes my
7 > life and users' lives easier. i'm using it in packages that tend to
8 > have a lot of extraneous patchsets associated with them. the random
9 > patches were punted from ebuilds and now it's up to the user to maintain
10 > the feature sets.
11
12 I've been working with upstream, various users, and Dan Rahn from
13 OpenSuSE (who has been absolutely great to work with, especially so since
14 he can do the coding I can't), on glib-2.16 and gcc-4.3 compatibility
15 patches for net-nntp/pan, and something like this would certainly make my
16 life a lot easier. FWIW the Gentoo bugs are 21160 and 214446, with half
17 the story on the pan-user list (which is developer oriented too right now
18 since the stable build is ancient so most users are on the beta releases
19 or SVN).
20
21 The point here though is that particularly for the glib patch, which has
22 undergone several rounds of testing and looks set for another round or
23 two at least, this user patch infrastructure would sure be nice!
28 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
31 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list