From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Code Review Systems Was: [gentoo-dev] Git Migration: launch plan & schedule
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 15:49:49
1 On Sat, Jul 04, 2015 at 10:14:14AM +0200, Manuel Rüger wrote:
2 > On 03.07.2015 22:22, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 > > (Breaking the thread, because I believe this topic needs further
4 > > discussion).
5 > >
6 > > On Fri, Jul 03, 2015 at 03:39:31PM +0200, Manuel Rüger wrote:
7 > >> Are there still any plans to use a code review system like gerrit that
8 > >> will avoid merges, rebases etc. to the tree by just accepting and
9 > >> serializing patches?
10 > > Merges are a fact of life, they will be happening.
11 > > This was included on:
12 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_git_workflow
13 > >
14 > > Rebases of already published commits must be avoided.
15 > >
16 > > But beyond that, the general discussion was that a code review system
17 > > was not in the immediate future...
18 > >
19 > > If the merge workflow becomes too problematic due to the high rate of
20 > > change, then we can revisit those systems, to take advantage of their
21 > > auto-merging functionality, but probably only in combination with the QA
22 > > testsuites.
25 > Using a Code Review System and allowing direct commits are not mutually
26 > exclusive.
27 > If infra has got time to set it up, this could be an option in addition
28 > to direct commits for developers and we could make it obligatory (e.g.
29 > for the first month) for new developers.
30 >
31 > It would also allow proxied maintainers to commit to the tree more
32 > easily, as it will require just an additional ack by the proxy maintainer.
33
34 If we do add a code review system, it should be fully accessible from
35 the command line. Pybugz is almost there for bugzilla; the only thing it
36 lacks is the ability to reply to specific comments.
37
38 William