From: Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o>
To: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Interaction in ebuilds - bad idea?
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 21:03:18
1 * Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o> [2004-04-29 14:30]:
2 > On Thursday 29 April 2004 22:04, Ajai Khattri wrote:
3 >
4 > Here's the points I want to tackle include:
5 >
6 > * standard way for ebuilds to interact with database servers locally
7 > * support for ebuilds to work with a remote database server
8 > * standard way for ebuilds to install new databases
9 > - naming schemes for databases
10 > - naming schemes for users that apps use
11 > * a standard way to automate upgrading databases when we upgrade apps
12 > - auto-generation of SQL upgrade scripts
13 > (we can't rely on UPSTREAM to provide them)
14 > * a standard way to automate removing databases when we remove apps
15 > - what do we remove
16 > - when do we remove it
17 > * hooks so that we can add new databases to backup schemes automatically
18 > - oh the fun ;-)
19 >
20 > I think we need to put a design down as a GLEP, as introducing the tool or
21 > tools to do all of this will impact users and devs alike.
22 >
23 > Thoughts, comments? Anyone interested in helping out on this?
24 >
25 > Best regards,
26 > Stu
27
28 I think this is a really good idea. The ebuild config mechanism is
29 not all that smart. Since, there is work on an installer there should
30 be some mechanism for the installer to query an "install specification
31 file" per package. Something like an installshield script, but it
32 needs to export configuration items (ie: parameters, possible values,
33 etc). The interface should be generic enough so that any type of
34 configuration utility (GUI, console, or non-interactive) can run the
35 configuration.
36
37 Depending on the time frame... I may be able to help out on this.
38 Graduation from college is at the end of this year (I hope :).
39
40 -Ryan