From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Interaction in ebuilds - bad idea?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:07:29
1 On Thursday 29 April 2004 22:04, Ajai Khattri wrote:
2 > Let's say I have an ebuild that uses mysql. Somewhere is a place for you
3 > to specify the host, db name, username and password for MySQL during the
4 > build process. If I wanted to ask the user that info, then what is the
5 > standard way of doing that? (Or am I using the wrong paradigm?).
6 >
7 > (Yes, Im working on a patch that uses mysql).
8
9 Right now, there's no standard way. Most ebuilds assume that you're accessing
10 mysql using 'mysql -u root' on the localhost. I've seen at least one which
11 prompts for these details - and makes a complete pigs ear of it.
12
13 There's a whole heap of work that we need to do to improve the way ebuilds
14 work with databases. It's something I intend to do once webapp-config is
15 bedded in and stable for most people, because it's desperately needed for
16 many web-based applications.
17
18 Here's the points I want to tackle include:
19
20 * standard way for ebuilds to interact with database servers locally
21 * support for ebuilds to work with a remote database server
22 * standard way for ebuilds to install new databases
23 - naming schemes for databases
24 - naming schemes for users that apps use
25 * a standard way to automate upgrading databases when we upgrade apps
26 - auto-generation of SQL upgrade scripts
27 (we can't rely on UPSTREAM to provide them)
28 * a standard way to automate removing databases when we remove apps
29 - what do we remove
30 - when do we remove it
31 * hooks so that we can add new databases to backup schemes automatically
32 - oh the fun ;-)
33
34 I think we need to put a design down as a GLEP, as introducing the tool or
35 tools to do all of this will impact users and devs alike.
36
37 Thoughts, comments? Anyone interested in helping out on this?
38
39 Best regards,
40 Stu
41 --
42 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
43 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
44 Missed the php|cruise? http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/cruise-2004/
45
46 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
47 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C