From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Possible USE="gnome" abusing in ebuilds.
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 03:49:48
1 Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Recently, I've edited or bumped some ebuilds which had USE gnome in
5 > them but it was actually doing something entirely different in them,
6 > like latest edition of media-libs/raptor had USE gnome pulling in glib
7 > which it was using for unicode purposes (so USE unicode was natural
8 > choice but only gnome users had it until now)
9 >
10 > I'm not pointing or blaming anyone but next time you edit an ebuild
11 > which is using USE gnome please check what it is actually doing and
12 > note that GLIB and GTK+ is NOT gnome
13 >
14 > Thanks, drac
15
16 Kinda like the GNOME herd does themselves? I've pointed this one out a
17 few times just cause it annoys me... gnome-mount has USE=gnome...
18 well... DUH! it's a gnome-volume-manager specific and GNOME Desktop
19 specific wrapper for HAL based mounting. Obviously it's used by GNOME
20 and only does and can function within a GNOME Destkop environment. But
21 what does this USE flag mean? Oh, it simply means you want to build the
22 Nautilus extension! Do we already have a USE=nautilus? Yes, yes we do.
23 It's a local USE flag used in 3 packages, 2 of those 3 are GNOME herd
24 packages.
25
26 Either way, the Gentopia copies of gnome-mount continue to use a
27 nautilus USE flag. Maybe someday, the light will shine.
28
29 Since body language and tone do 90% of speaking and words only do 10%, I
30 would like to just point out that the sarcasm of this e-mail is
31 intentional but not meant to be insulting. It's merely a point
32 highlighting the fact that a non-GNOME herd member made a request that
33 the GNOME herd should make and the herd should stick to.
36 Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
37 http://dev.gentoo.org/~cardoe/
38 --
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list