From: "Santiago M. Mola" <coldwind@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Possible USE="gnome" abusing in ebuilds.
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 09:19:54
1 On 10/12/07, Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Kinda like the GNOME herd does themselves? I've pointed this one out a
4 > few times just cause it annoys me... gnome-mount has USE=gnome...
5 > well... DUH! it's a gnome-volume-manager specific and GNOME Desktop
6 > specific wrapper for HAL based mounting. Obviously it's used by GNOME
7 > and only does and can function within a GNOME Destkop environment. But
8 > what does this USE flag mean? Oh, it simply means you want to build the
9 > Nautilus extension! Do we already have a USE=nautilus? Yes, yes we do.
10 > It's a local USE flag used in 3 packages, 2 of those 3 are GNOME herd
11 > packages.
14 I've been told (although as an opinion, not a policy) that
15 USE="-gnome" means "put as few gnome packages as possible" and
16 USE="gnome" means the opposite. So I'm going to use this USE flag for
17 a GNOME app which can use only a few gnome packages at the minimun,
18 and some others for extra features. GNOME users certainly want to take
19 advantage of those extra features, and other users don't want to
20 install so many GNOME packages.
21
22 I don't think it's an optimal solution, but adding a new local USE for
23 every tiny feature would be annoying, and USE="gnome-panel" or
24 USE="gnome-applets" flag is pretty senseless.
27 Santiago M. Mola
28 Jabber ID: coldwind@××××××××.org
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list