From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Tightly-coupled core distro [was: Council meeting summary for 3 April 2012]
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 12:27:30
1 On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 6:11 AM, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov <mva@×××.name> wrote:
2 > So, I really hope, that Gentoo will not obey RedHat's will and will not
3 > force SystemD as default init system, and not drop pretty OpenRC to
4 > trash. And I hope, that ryao's eudev will be most used (if not default)
5 > variant of udev, since I'm sad with last vanilla udev functionality
6 > "downgrades".
7
8 I'm sure all of the options will be offered as options for as long as
9 people care to take care of them. With the number of anti-systemd
10 posts on -dev I don't see openrc going away anytime soon.
11
12 I'm sure the default will stay as it is unless a substantial majority
13 want it otherwise - we can't go flipping that every time the latest
14 whatever comes along.
15
16 And frankly, I could care less what it is since I can change it. If I
17 wanted to be rigidly bound by defaults there are a lot of distros
18 easier to maintain than Gentoo. iOS comes to mind. :)
19
20 I run OpenRC on my main box, and systemd on a VM hosted within it. I
21 wouldn't be surprised if I move to systemd some day as my experience
22 with it has been a good one, but I'll use the tools I think are best
23 for the problem at hand, and not what somebody else chooses for me,
24 and I'll be the last to force a choice on anybody else. That said,
25 Gentoo can only offer the options that devs step up and maintain, so
26 if you care greatly about something start writing patches.
27
28 That is my biggest concern over a lot of this mess - and Greg KH did a
29 good job putting it into words in the six-month old thread that was
30 just resurrected. Lennart et al only have the power you give to them
31 - anybody can fork at any time or keep an old project going. If you
32 don't like Gnome 3 then start writing code for Gnome 2. This is all
33 FREE software, and it only exists when people take the time to write
34 it. If nobody bothers to maintain the alternatives, then I guess
35 collectively we're going to be stuck with whatever people take the
36 time to write.
37
38 So, feel free to offer advice/comments/etc. However, let's keep the
39 tone civil. Unless you're their employer, the guys writing the
40 software you don't like owe you precisely nothing.
41
42 Rich