From: Ferris McCormick <fmccor@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New metastructure proposal
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:18:45
1 On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 19:26 +0530, Andrew Cowie wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 21:32 +0200, Alexandre Buisse wrote:
3 > > as everyone probably noticed, there is a current atmosphere of sinking ship,
4 > > with quite a lot of people leaving and many agreeing that gentoo is no fun
5 > > working on anymore. Before it's too late, I'd like to propose a big reformation
6 >
7 > A well considered and thoughtful message. Reinvigorating communities is
8 > hard, and I hope the rest of the Gentoo developer community will find
9 > inspiration from the gentle encouragement to be positive, even if it
10 > turns out the specific ideas aren't the direction you want to go.
11 >
12 > For all that the original poster got hammered about the stage4 thing, as
13 > a long time Gentoo advocate I must admit that the constant stream of
14 > negativity connected with so many developers getting upset and leaving
15 > in a relatively short period of time is vaguely unsettling. It's good to
16 > see other developers noting that they are happy - it balances things.
19 OK, I'm a happy developer.
20
21 > One of the hallmarks of Gentoo has been whole tree co-ordination and the
22 > fact that developers are able to cover for each other is really rather
23 > cool. Regardless of any structural changes you might make, this
24 > characteristic co-ordination and co-operation is what has made Gentoo an
25 > impressive distribution and so I hope you manage to maintain this spirit
26 > in the years to come.
27 >
28 > AfC
29 > Bangalore
32 Thanks for the kind words; positive posts are always welcome. :) I
33 believe it is very much our intent to "maintain this spirit [of
34 co-operation]".
35
36 Regards,
37 --
38 Ferris McCormick (P44646, MI) <fmccor@g.o>
39 Developer, Gentoo Linux (Devrel, Sparc)