From: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New metastructure proposal
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:32:48
1 On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 21:32 +0200, Alexandre Buisse wrote:
2 > as everyone probably noticed, there is a current atmosphere of sinking ship,
3 > with quite a lot of people leaving and many agreeing that gentoo is no fun
4 > working on anymore. Before it's too late, I'd like to propose a big reformation
5
6 A well considered and thoughtful message. Reinvigorating communities is
7 hard, and I hope the rest of the Gentoo developer community will find
8 inspiration from the gentle encouragement to be positive, even if it
9 turns out the specific ideas aren't the direction you want to go.
10
11 For all that the original poster got hammered about the stage4 thing, as
12 a long time Gentoo advocate I must admit that the constant stream of
13 negativity connected with so many developers getting upset and leaving
14 in a relatively short period of time is vaguely unsettling. It's good to
15 see other developers noting that they are happy - it balances things.
16
17 One of the hallmarks of Gentoo has been whole tree co-ordination and the
18 fact that developers are able to cover for each other is really rather
19 cool. Regardless of any structural changes you might make, this
20 characteristic co-ordination and co-operation is what has made Gentoo an
21 impressive distribution and so I hope you manage to maintain this spirit
22 in the years to come.
23
24 AfC
25 Bangalore
28 Andrew Frederick Cowie
29
30 Technology strategy, managing change, establishing procedures,
31 and executing successful upgrades to mission critical business
32 infrastructure.
33
34 http://www.operationaldynamics.com/
35