From: "James H. Cloos Jr." <cloos@×××××××.com>
To: danarmak@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] svn eclass?
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 22:27:40
1 >>>>> "Dan" == Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o> writes:
2
3 Dan> Well, what important or interesting apps use subversion or
4 Dan> bitkeeper for which we might want live ebuilds? Hm, the linux
5 Dan> kernel :-) Anything else? (This question is addressed to the orig
6 Dan> poster)
7
8 The package that got me looking was sys-libs/libraw1394. 0.9.0 is
9 quote old, but the most recent actual release. For now I just made
10 my own release (as 0.9.1) but I'd prefer to easily follow the svn
11 releases.
12
13 Other than the linux 1394 stuff, svn itself is the only svn package I
14 currently follow, but I’d not be surprised were there to be more in
15 the future.
16
17 For bk stuff, I keep up to date with e2fsprogs, the various kernel
18 trees, ntp, and MIPL’s, LkSctp’s & Ntfs’s tools. (Not that I make
19 much use of any but e2fsprogs and ntp, though the mobile ipv6 stuff
20 and sctp are certaining of interest.)
21
22 Dan> I tried to write a cvsup.eclass once, but never brought it up to
23 Dan> the same level as cvs.eclass because I didn't need it.
24
25 I keep local copies of the cvs repos of quite a few projects, via
26 cvsup and rsync as available. There are a least a dozen cvs ebuilds
27 I need to do for myself that grab from my mirrors of the repos....
28
29 I used to cvs up, cp to a fresh dir for compiling, compile and then
30 use checkinstall to install the cvs version of at least a dozen
31 packages. I’d prefer to be able to use portage for that now that
32 I’ve made the switch to gentoo.
33
34 Having the eclasses in the main portage tree is enough distribution-
35 provided infrastructure for me; I’m sure anyone else keeping that
36 close to the bleeding edge of several disparate packages is also as
37 capable of managing their own local set of ebuilds, but it is IMO a
38 good idea to avoid excessing duplication of effort by using an
39 eclass when possible.
40
41 -JimC
45 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list