From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] svn eclass?
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 21:05:42
1 On Tuesday 01 July 2003 22:35, Todd Berman wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 15:13, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 01 July 2003 21:08, James H. Cloos Jr. wrote:
4 > > > Has anyone done any work towards an svn.eclass ala cvs.eclass?
5 > > >
6 > > > Or a bk.eclass for that matter?
7 > > >
8 > > > I don't see anything on 'zilla.
9 >
10 > Amir had one, i know this, but before we rush to put it into the tree,
11 > is there really a need for it?
12
13 Well, what important or interesting apps use subversion or bitkeeper for which
14 we might want live ebuilds? Hm, the linux kernel :-) Anything else? (This
15 question is addressed to the orig poster)
16
17 I tried to write a cvsup.eclass once, but never brought it up to the same
18 level as cvs.eclass because I didn't need it. Still, writing such an eclass
19 (or svn/bk/rsync/whatever), with the experience gained from the many
20 cvs.eclass debacles, shouldn't be very difficult or take very long, the
21 bigger question is whether we want it.
24 > I was pretty sure live cvs/svn/bk ebuilds were something we wanted to
25 > move *away* from, not to.
26
27 Well, not as such, I think. They are legitimately useful in certain
28 situations.
29
30 In the example of the kde live cvs ebuilds, they (and the users constantly
31 testing them) have been an excellent tool for me to test various improvements
32 to the kde ebuilds, and more importantly, to have ready, well tested code for
33 new KDE releases. The ebuilds for eg kde 3.0 and 3.1 differ significantly;
34 instead of having to spend a lot of time and effort during the week kde
35 packagers are given to look at the new release source tarballs searching for
36 all those differences, I can now use ebuilds that are known to work for the
37 cvs of a week ago.
38
39 The users of course benefit as well - not just those who like running the
40 bleeding edge for its own sake, but kde developers. Several have told me the
41 availability of semiofficial 'live cvs' packages has been a big benefit of
42 gentoo over other distros.
43
44 Another case where such ebuilds are useful is when an app has a rapidly
45 evolving cvs tree which is not much less stable than its releases (like wine
46 I think). Users using cvs as often as not get a stabler version than the
47 latest release, with important fixes. A developer could of course create
48 frequent cvs snapshot ebuilds or include specific fixes in ebuilds based on
49 the latest release, but this would require a very large amount of effort.
50
51 All this said, I refrain from putting my own kde cvs ebuilds in the portage
52 tree until portage has better support for live cvs ebuilds (blocking
53 keywords, better dep handling --> recognition of 'cvs' as a version, maybe
54 even understanding of branches).
57 Dan Armak
58 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
59 Matan, Israel
60 Public GPG key: http://cvs.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
61 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951