From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE flags dri, cups, pppd
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 14:05:39
1 On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 2:46 AM, Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o> wrote:
2 > Setting the option in the profile tells me: "Here's this option you can
3 > play with, and we think you might need it. Or not."
4 >
5 > Setting the option in the ebuild tells me: "You know, we are nice and
6 > give you this option, but really you should keep this turned on.
7 > Really."
8
9 I'm not sure that either really has those connotations. They're both
10 recommended defaults, and as with any recommended default changing it
11 could vary in impact.
12
13 I think that package defaults make sense from the standpoint of having
14 flags that really do vary in usage between packages. Profile defaults
15 are good for tweaking the overall characteristics of a system.
16
17 The profile defaults do seem less and less relevant, because we only
18 have 4 profiles. The kde/gnome/desktop profiles get a lot of care,
19 and the default basically gets touched very little.
20
21 If somebody really wants to make more minimal profiles that actually
22 mean something, rather than just trying to tweak the default profile I
23 think it would actually make more sense to make new profiles and
24 actually turn them into something useful. Maybe have a
25 hardened-server profile and accompanying stage3s that let you install
26 a hardened server that "just works." Maybe have a Raspberry Pi
27 profile. Things that are very specific, and therefore actually
28 accomplish something. Obviously somebody needs to maintain them if
29 they're going to create them, but at least they'd be useful to
30 SOMEBODY.
31
32 The problem with things like a "minimal default" profile are that
33 everybody has a different idea of what it should be, and as a result
34 the people who tend to want minimal just end up setting -* and
35 tweaking everything anyway. That means that we're debating stuff and
36 messing with existing systems and not really accomplishing anything of
37 meaning for anybody. For one person minimal means that we replace
38 half the GNU tools with busybox, and for another it just means
39 disabling things like CUPS.
40
41 I think that rather than tossing individual questions about individual
42 flags to the list if some developers want to have a minimal profile
43 they should form a project and create one. Maybe leave the default
44 profile alone, unless there is some flag change that is just a
45 no-brainer. I think the bottom line is that creating a minimal
46 default profile that is actually useful for something and which
47 accomplishes the goals of those envisioning it is going to be a lot
48 harder than it might seem.
49
50 Rich