From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE flags dri, cups, pppd
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 07:47:32
1 On Sun, 2013-01-20 at 18:03 +0100, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2
3 > We can either set it in the base profile, then there is no need for
4 > IUSE="+dri". Or we can set it in every single ebuild that has the dri
5 > flag. I prefer the former because it reduces our maintenance burden.
6
7 You make it sound like these two options are equivalent, but I don't
8 think they are.
9
10 Setting the option in the profile tells me: "Here's this option you can
11 play with, and we think you might need it. Or not."
12
13 Setting the option in the ebuild tells me: "You know, we are nice and
14 give you this option, but really you should keep this turned on.
15 Really."
16
17 From the descriptions it sounds like you want the latter effect, and
18 thus use IUSE="+dri". This would also help all the people starting out
19 with "-*".
20
21 Hans