From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: USE flags dri, cups, pppd
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 06:19:28
1 Hans de Graaff posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 08:46:59 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Sun, 2013-01-20 at 18:03 +0100, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
4 >
5 >> We can either set it in the base profile, then there is no need for
6 >> IUSE="+dri". Or we can set it in every single ebuild that has the dri
7 >> flag. I prefer the former because it reduces our maintenance burden.
8 >
9 > [I]t sounds like you want [...] use IUSE="+dri". This would also help
10 > all the people starting out with "-*".
11
12 ?? How would setting the default using IUSE="+dri" in the ebuilds help
13 those starting out with -*? -* does just that, hard-setting all USE
14 flags as disabled, unless they're specifically enabled later in the USE
15 flag configuration. Thus, it's the same effect on default-enabled-flags,
16 regardless of whether they're default-enabled in the profile or in the
17 ebuilds.
18
19 [TLDR folks can stop at that.]
20
21 FWIW, based on this discussion I wondered just how much effect USE-
22 defaults, both the profile and ebuild sort, were having here. Thus, I
23 set -* myself, and have been working thru the changes one at a time.
24 I've a couple packages yet to deal with ATM, but after I resolved enough
25 of the required-use issues for emerge --pretend --newuse @world to even
26 spit out a remerge list, I started with 40-some packages with --newuse
27 changes. More or less what I expected...
28
29 Most of the changes I've been able to resolve by either adding the flags
30 to the use file sourced by my make.conf, or by deciding I didn't need the
31 flag enabled anyway, and remerging the package without it. I've only
32 added a few flags to package.use, as most of them were used by only the
33 affected packages anyway, at least based on the packages I have installed.
34
35 FWIW2, I'm /thinking/ about setting up my own profile entirely... or
36 setting it up to cascade only from my custom-selected components, at
37 least, keeping the profile-base for the global package-mask, and perhaps
38 the amd64-no-multilib stuff. I already have zero packages in @system as
39 I've negated all the entries that would otherwise be there, and I'm in
40 the process of zeroing out my dependence on profile default-use... When
41 I'm done with that, I'll take a look at the rest and see...
46 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman