From: John Croisant <jacius@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: any interest in removing /usr/qt and /usr/kde ?
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 03:00:46
1 Dan Armak <danarmak <at> gentoo.org> writes:
2 >
3 > /usr/qt,kde was my decision at the time. I didn't see any obvious better
4 > FHS-mandated place to put them in. If there's a better place, I'd at least
5 > like to hear about it.
6
7 I'm a fan of tearing KDE/QT apart and scattering the pieces into their proper,
8 FHS-friendly places. That is, /usr/kde/share might become /usr/share/kde-X.Y,
9 and so on. /usr/{kde,qt}/ would be phased out (perhaps keep a directory full of
10 symlinks to the new places while everything settles). Whether or not this is
11 feasible, I can't say -- but it sure would be fun for whoever writes the ebuild!
12
13 To let multiple versions co-exist, you could use version appending for
14 directories/libraries (/usr/lib/kde-X.Y) (this is what gnome-2 uses, as foser
15 pointed out, http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/21414 ). I don't
16 see anything in the FHS this goes against (in word or spirit, as I read it), and
17 a few packages in portage already use this style (not just in /usr/share, but in
18 /usr/lib, /usr/bin, etc). Taking a peek in /usr/lib, I see Abiword-2.0, gtk-2.0,
19 the gnome-related libraries, and python having directories using this versioning
20 system (although python doesn't use the dash). Plus, it seems (to me, at least!)
21 to make sense: the shared directories are versioned, the library files directly
22 in /usr/lib are versioned (libfoo.so[.x[.y.z]]), so why not the library
23 directories in /usr/lib?
24
25 The FHS defines the bare minimum (and a few optional) presence of directories,
26 but beyond that some decision should be made, ideally between distros (and maybe
27 even between *nixes), as to what hierarchy/naming conventions should be used for
28 subdirectories.
29
30 Hopefully, the new major versions of KDE and QT will make it clearer where they
31 should go (perhaps by separating the files in a FHS-friendly way). I don't think
32 that leaving /usr/{kde,qt} in place for the current versions, and "starting
33 fresh" with the new versions would work, because you'd have to keep the current
34 versions around anyway (or start up this discussion again) for applications that
35 don't get updated to the new KDE or QT versions.
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list