From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: any interest in removing /usr/qt and /usr/kde ?
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 08:19:39
1 On Tuesday 28 September 2004 04:51, John Croisant wrote:
2 > I'm a fan of tearing KDE/QT apart and scattering the pieces into their
3 > proper, FHS-friendly places. That is, /usr/kde/share might become
4 > /usr/share/kde-X.Y, and so on. /usr/{kde,qt}/ would be phased out
5 > (perhaps keep a directory full of symlinks to the new places while
6 > everything settles). Whether or not this is feasible, I can't say --
7 > but it sure would be fun for whoever writes the ebuild!
8
9 Too much fun. Have you ever tried to maintain patches on a package with
10 new versions comming out all the time?
13 > To let multiple versions co-exist, you could use version appending for
14 > directories/libraries (/usr/lib/kde-X.Y) (this is what gnome-2 uses, as
15 > foser pointed out,
16 > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/21414 ). I don't see
17 > anything in the FHS this goes against (in word or spirit, as I read
18 > it), and a few packages in portage already use this style (not just in
19 > /usr/share, but in /usr/lib, /usr/bin, etc). Taking a peek in /usr/lib,
20 > I see Abiword-2.0, gtk-2.0, the gnome-related libraries, and python
21 > having directories using this versioning system (although python
22 > doesn't use the dash). Plus, it seems (to me, at least!) to make sense:
23 > the shared directories are versioned, the library files directly in
24 > /usr/lib are versioned (libfoo.so[.x[.y.z]]), so why not the library
25 > directories in /usr/lib?
26
27 Do you realize that this would amount to serious patches on kde. KDE
28 expects KDEDIR(S) to work the way it does currently. I know it is not
29 ideal, but neither is the FHS.
32 > The FHS defines the bare minimum (and a few optional) presence of
33 > directories, but beyond that some decision should be made, ideally
34 > between distros (and maybe even between *nixes), as to what
35 > hierarchy/naming conventions should be used for subdirectories.
36 >
37 > Hopefully, the new major versions of KDE and QT will make it clearer
38 > where they should go (perhaps by separating the files in a FHS-friendly
39 > way). I don't think that leaving /usr/{kde,qt} in place for the current
40 > versions, and "starting fresh" with the new versions would work,
41 > because you'd have to keep the current versions around anyway (or start
42 > up this discussion again) for applications that don't get updated to
43 > the new KDE or QT versions.
44
45 You might petition to the qt/kde people, I don't give you much chance, but
46 the main reason for the current setup is based on the kde/qt setup.
47
48 Paul
51 Paul de Vrieze
52 Gentoo Developer