From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Referencing bug reports in git
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 01:26:03
1 Ryan Hill posted on Mon, 10 Aug 2015 18:17:30 -0600 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 12:25:58 +0000 (UTC)
4 > Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 >> What about:
6 >>
7 >> * bug number in summary strongly recommended
8 >
9 > Making the bug number in the summary manditory or strongly encouraged
10 > leads to wonderful commit messages like:
11 >
12 > ---
13 > cat-pkg: Fix bug #504321.
14
15 Ideally, it'd be something a bit more informative (here taking Gordon's
16 points about the previously suggested B#):
17
18 cat-egory/semi-long-package-name: fix amd64-fbsd build error G-504321
19
20 > I would like to see this be more common:
21 >
22 > ---
23 > cat-pkg: Make the thingy work again
24 >
25 > Gentoo-Bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/504321 *(or 504321 Idon'tcarewhich)
26 > ----
27 >
28 > If we're limiting the summary to 1 line, 70-75 chars, manditory
29 > cat/package and bug number there's not a lot of room to summarize in.
30
31 Note that a bug number would fit in your above summary very easily,
32 omitting nothing, as it's only ~35/75 length.
33
34 Even with my somewhat longer cat/pkg example with the longest arch-
35 keyword I could quickly find, there's still room to indicate at minimum
36 build vs runtime error, with the gentoo bug number reference for anyone
37 who might find it interesting enough to look further than the one-line.
38 People can then either select and klipper-popup (adding my usual trigger
39 method to the others people have mentioned), or read the longer
40 description for the full bug URL to click, if they prefer.
45 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman