From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Referencing bug reports in git
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 08:57:42
1 Hi!
2
3 On Tue, 11 Aug 2015, Duncan wrote:
4
5 > Ryan Hill posted on Mon, 10 Aug 2015 18:17:30 -0600 as excerpted:
6 >
7 > > On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 12:25:58 +0000 (UTC)
8 > > Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
9 > >> What about:
10 > >>
11 > >> * bug number in summary strongly recommended
12 > >
13 > > Making the bug number in the summary manditory or strongly encouraged
14 > > leads to wonderful commit messages like:
15 > >
16 > > ---
17 > > cat-pkg: Fix bug #504321.
18 >
19 > Ideally, it'd be something a bit more informative (here taking Gordon's
20 > points about the previously suggested B#):
21 >
22 > cat-egory/semi-long-package-name: fix amd64-fbsd build error G-504321
23 >
24 > > I would like to see this be more common:
25 > >
26 > > ---
27 > > cat-pkg: Make the thingy work again
28 > >
29 > > Gentoo-Bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/504321 *(or 504321 Idon'tcarewhich)
30 > > ----
31 > >
32 > > If we're limiting the summary to 1 line, 70-75 chars, manditory
33 > > cat/package and bug number there's not a lot of room to summarize in.
34 >
35 > Note that a bug number would fit in your above summary very easily,
36 > omitting nothing, as it's only ~35/75 length.
37 >
38 > Even with my somewhat longer cat/pkg example with the longest arch-
39 > keyword I could quickly find, there's still room to indicate at minimum
40 > build vs runtime error, with the gentoo bug number reference for anyone
41 > who might find it interesting enough to look further than the one-line.
42 > People can then either select and klipper-popup (adding my usual trigger
43 > method to the others people have mentioned), or read the longer
44 > description for the full bug URL to click, if they prefer.
45
46 The more we stuff into the summary line, the harder it will be to
47 write meaningful summaries. And thus, people will write crappy
48 ones or ignore the length limit. I recommend against any more
49 prescription over "Add the the cat/pn if meaningful, don't use
50 more than 75 characters".
51
52 The cat/pn rule is tricky anyway: what if one commit touches 100
53 packages? Or should that be split into 100 commits for easier
54 partial rollback?
55
56 Regards,
57 Tobias