From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Copyright lines in the profiles directory
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2021 05:51:00
1 On 6/21/2021 01:36, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 >>>>>> On Mon, 21 Jun 2021, Joshua Kinard wrote:
3 >
4 >> Doing some review/cleanups in the MIPS profiles and there's some
5 >> degree of variability going on with the top copyright header, mainly
6 >> in the beginning year. I'm wanting to fix all of those up, but what is
7 >> the appropriate beginning year here? 1999, or the first year that the
8 >> file appeared?
9 >
10 > Ideally, it should be the year when the file first appeared. However,
11 > mgorny's approach is also fine (i.e. leave the start of the range
12 > unchanged).
13
14 That works for me, thanks!
17 >> I am inclined to go with "Copyright 1999-2021 Gentoo Authors" across
18 >> the board,
19 >
20 > Why would you move the starting year back in time? Please don't.
21 >
22 >> but given that copyright is always a touchy subject, figured I'd ask.
23
24 Again, this is why I ask instead of what waltzing off and doing.
25
26 Odds are really likely that many of those profile files were just copied
27 from another one elsewhere in the tree. The starting year is all over the
28 place, and really, we did not have cascading profiles in 1999, so any of the
29 files that say "1999" as the start year likely have the wrong year in the
30 first place. More reasonably, I'd want to hunt down the actual creation
31 year of each file and then set the start year to the year that file first
32 appeared in CVS. Though, that'd be a tad on the pedantic side, not to
33 mention take a lot of time to trace each file individually.
34
35 :: waits for someone to drop some magic git-fu that does this in one line ::
38 Joshua Kinard
39 Gentoo/MIPS
40 kumba@g.o
41 rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
42 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
43
44 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
45 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
46
47 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic