From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New category: net-voip
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 07:13:33
1 On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:15:38 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:57:32 +0200 "Kevin F. Quinn"
5 > <kevquinn@g.o> wrote:
6 > | Things that package moves cause:
7 > | 1) Dependencies throughout the tree have to be updated
8 >
9 > And? This isn't a breakage.
10
11 It is however unnecessary inconvenience for the user, even assuming the
12 support for moves is bug-free.
13
14 > | 2) Current installations become inconsistent with respect to the
15 > tree
16 >
17 > Uh, current installations become 'inconsistent' whenever anyone
18 > changes *anything* in the tree.
19
20 To a different degree. In the package move case, the inconsistency
21 occurs even though nothing has really changed, in terms of what the
22 packages actually do.
23
24 > | 3) Binary packages go out-of-date
25 >
26 > So rebuild them. Binary packages go out of date whenever someone does
27 > a version bump too.
28
29 So your opinion is that it's fine to cause users to rebuild stuff even
30 when the package itself hasn't changed?
31
32 > | 4) Increased sync load
33 >
34 > Not really significant in comparison to, say, an arch team keywording
35 > a new KDE or Gnome stable.
36
37 The difference with KDE or Gnome going stable is that it actually
38 provides something useful; i.e. an updated version of the packages that
39 are presumably better in some way. Package moves do not improve what
40 the package provides, at all, so you incur the pain for no gain.
41
42 > | 5) Loss of history, unless the move is performed server-side (i.e.
43 > | extra work for infra)
44 >
45 > History's in the ChangeLog.
46
47 That's a fraction of what's in the CVS history, however.
48
49 > | The key issue is that categories are semantically inadequate.
50 >
51 > That's no reason to use them improperly.
52
53 I note you cherry-pick what to respond to. I explained how, without
54 improper use (whatever that is), you just end up with a tug-of-war
55 between herds about which category something should be in.
56
57 > So again, you've *not* given any reasons to avoid sensible package
58 > moves.
59
60 Ah; now you're qualifying. What do you consider to be a sensible
61 package move? I would define it as moves where the package is blatantly
62 in the wrong category (e.g. a voip package being found in the app-text
63 category) rather than moves where the package might be a little more
64 appropriate for one category than another - especially where that
65 judgement is subjective.
68 Kevin F. Quinn