From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New category: net-voip
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 16:32:46
1 On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 09:05:03 +0200 "Kevin F. Quinn"
2 <kevquinn@g.o> wrote:
3 | On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:15:38 +0100
4 | Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 | > On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:57:32 +0200 "Kevin F. Quinn"
6 | > <kevquinn@g.o> wrote:
7 | > | Things that package moves cause:
8 | > | 1) Dependencies throughout the tree have to be updated
9 | >
10 | > And? This isn't a breakage.
11 |
12 | It is however unnecessary inconvenience for the user, even assuming
13 | the support for moves is bug-free.
14
15 Eh? The only thing users see is packages where they'd expect them,
16 which is very convenient.
17
18 | > | 2) Current installations become inconsistent with respect to the
19 | > tree
20 | >
21 | > Uh, current installations become 'inconsistent' whenever anyone
22 | > changes *anything* in the tree.
23 |
24 | To a different degree. In the package move case, the inconsistency
25 | occurs even though nothing has really changed, in terms of what the
26 | packages actually do.
27
28 Uh, changing KEYWORDS doesn't change what the packages actually do, but
29 it does create an inconsistency.
30
31 | > | 3) Binary packages go out-of-date
32 | >
33 | > So rebuild them. Binary packages go out of date whenever someone
34 | > does a version bump too.
35 |
36 | So your opinion is that it's fine to cause users to rebuild stuff even
37 | when the package itself hasn't changed?
38
39 If they're one of the tree people for whom fixpackages is insufficient,
40 then yes.
41
42 | > | 4) Increased sync load
43 | >
44 | > Not really significant in comparison to, say, an arch team
45 | > keywording a new KDE or Gnome stable.
46 |
47 | The difference with KDE or Gnome going stable is that it actually
48 | provides something useful; i.e. an updated version of the packages
49 | that are presumably better in some way. Package moves do not improve
50 | what the package provides, at all, so you incur the pain for no gain.
51
52 The gain is a more sensible tree. With the tree as big as it is, that's
53 a very important consideration.
54
55 | > | 5) Loss of history, unless the move is performed server-side (i.e.
56 | > | extra work for infra)
57 | >
58 | > History's in the ChangeLog.
59 |
60 | That's a fraction of what's in the CVS history, however.
61
62 Then start persuading people to keep better CHangeLogs. The CVS history
63 is still around for when you really need it, of course.
64
65 | > | The key issue is that categories are semantically inadequate.
66 | >
67 | > That's no reason to use them improperly.
68 |
69 | I note you cherry-pick what to respond to. I explained how, without
70 | improper use (whatever that is), you just end up with a tug-of-war
71 | between herds about which category something should be in.
72
73 I'd call it "snipping out things that're irrelevant to the discussion
74 at hand". Your personal dislike of categories has nothing to do with
75 anything. We're talking about the tree and capabilities that're
76 available, not the tree and capabilities you'd like.
77
78 | > So again, you've *not* given any reasons to avoid sensible package
79 | > moves.
80 |
81 | Ah; now you're qualifying.
82
83 Well yes. It's to prevent you from countering with an absurd example
84 where package moves are abused. Nobody really thinks we should be doing
85 three hundred package moves every day, but I wouldn't put it past
86 certain people to use an argument based around that to say that all
87 package moves are bad...
88
89 | What do you consider to be a sensible package move?
90
91 One that makes the tree more consistent and easier to maintain.
94 Ciaran McCreesh
95 Mail : ciaran dot mccreesh at blueyonder.co.uk
99 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list