From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-core@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] Keywords policy
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:44:43
1 [+gentoo-dev]
2
3 I'm just going to jump randomly in here.
4
5 Also, moving this back to -dev as it is not a private matter.
6
7 The bread and butter of this is what:
8
9 A. KDE team drops arch keywords for KDE 4, since KDE4 is new.
10
11 B. Jer re-keywords KDE4 on HPPA but doesn't try installing the
12 software to make sure it works.
13
14 C. Jer misses keywords because the KDE team did not provide a distinct
15 list of packages and Jer was relying on repoman to notify him when he
16 broke the deptree for HPPA. Repoman has a bug/feature that caused it
17 to behave in an unexpected manner.
18
19 So I think most people think A. is an acceptable practice. For all
20 intents and purposes KDE4 is new software. Does anyone disagree with
21 this?
22
23 I think C is both Jer's and the KDE teams fault. How difficult is it
24 really to produce a distinct package list KDE team? You could always
25 refuse to keyword without such a list.
26
27 I think B is the real argument here. Typically when commiting
28 packages you are supposed to install them and at least (in the case of
29 KDE) log into KDE and make sure it at least works.
30
31 Jer, did you do this? If not; do you understand why the other
32 developers are upset? Really I think they just want you to test
33 things you are keywording.
34
35 -Alec
36 --