From: Flammie Pirinen <flammie@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding support to metadata.xml to mark longdescriptions as outdated
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:22:45
1 2005-10-20, Petteri Räty sanoi, jotta:
2
3 > Flammie Pirinen wrote:
4 > > 2005-10-19, Petteri Räty sanoi, jotta:
5 > >
6 > >>might translate the longdescriptions
7 > >>in metadata.xml files to Finnish.
10 > > Hmm, can I suggest some QA or similar stuff for these before
11 > > committing? I don't fully know what's the visibility of this stuff
12 > > though, but I'd feel much nicer if they were at least proofread or
13 > > peer evaluated once before providing them to public. I don't mean to
14 > > question your Finnish capabilities of course, I've just
15 > > participated in Finnish localisations of Open Source things long
16 > > enough to know how bad Finnish some people can produce.
19 > I think herdstat can use this data but that's about it I think.
20
21 In that kind of case it's of course not needed. I was more thinking
22 along the lines that if they are commonly visible to end user via eg.
23 packages.gentoo.org or using some emerge or equery command, or possibly
24 even graphical package managers or even installer, then they will need
25 to be in top shape.
26
27 > Considering that every developer can add the English longdescriptions
28 > there without any peer review, I think it would be an overkill for
29 > Finnish translations. But if this is a problem I can of course run
30 > some diffs through you or something.
31
32 Well, any developer can add English documentation in to w.g.o webspace
33 as it is, and any developer can also write very visible e* output to
34 ebuilds etc. etc., so I suppose the quality standard has wider threshold
35 for English in general. Or perhaps we just trust that all gentoo
36 developers write perfect English already :-)
40 Flammie, Gentoo Linux Documentation's Finnish head translator.
41 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~flammie>