From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding support to metadata.xml to mark longdescriptions as outdated
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:23:36
1 Flammie Pirinen wrote:
2 > 2005-10-19, Petteri Räty sanoi, jotta:
5 >>I thought that when I am bored I
8 > Join GDP Finnish translation team! We're still short one followup
9 > translator and pile of alt-arch stuff at least before getting official
10 > status and linkage. ;-)
13 I might one day one when I have the time. At the moment I think I am a
14 little too busy. Because I regularly touch metadata.xml files when
15 working with packages I think I will stick to translating those when I
16 feel like it.
19 >>might translate the longdescriptions
20 >>in metadata.xml files to Finnish.
23 > Hmm, can I suggest some QA or similar stuff for these before
24 > committing? I don't fully know what's the visibility of this stuff
25 > though, but I'd feel much nicer if they were at least proofread or peer
26 > evaluated once before providing them to public. I don't mean to
27 > question your Finnish capabilities of course, I've just participated in
28 > Finnish localisations of Open Source things long enough to know how bad
29 > Finnish some people can produce.
32 I think herdstat can use this data but that's about it I think.
33 Considering that every developer can add the English longdescriptions
34 there without any peer review, I think it would be an overkill for
35 Finnish translations. But if this is a problem I can of course run some
36 diffs through you or something.
39 > Well, I'm no expert on Portage tree stuff of course, but isn't that a
40 > bit too complex for the problem. I mean, if some description gets
41 > changed so crucially that translations need to be updated -- which as
42 > far as I understand shouldn't be too often -- wouldn't it be enough to
43 > just drop the old translations? If you really need automatic
44 > notification on changes in these things, cvs mailing list or CIA bot is
45 > easy way to see them.
48 That would work of course, but if this data is one day going to be used
49 by more users then having data marked as outdated is IMHO better than
50 not having any data at all. With the way the Portage tree works at the
51 moment the removal would fast reach users too.
52
53 Regards,
54 Petteri