From: Flammie Pirinen <flammie@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding support to metadata.xml to mark longdescriptions as outdated
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 21:09:34
1 2005-10-19, Petteri Räty sanoi, jotta:
2
3 > I thought that when I am bored I
4
5 Join GDP Finnish translation team! We're still short one followup
6 translator and pile of alt-arch stuff at least before getting official
7 status and linkage. ;-)
8
9 > might translate the longdescriptions
10 > in metadata.xml files to Finnish.
11
12 Hmm, can I suggest some QA or similar stuff for these before
13 committing? I don't fully know what's the visibility of this stuff
14 though, but I'd feel much nicer if they were at least proofread or peer
15 evaluated once before providing them to public. I don't mean to
16 question your Finnish capabilities of course, I've just participated in
17 Finnish localisations of Open Source things long enough to know how bad
18 Finnish some people can produce.
19
20 > While thinking about it the
21 > following problem came to mind: When the English descriptions are
22 > updated there is no way currently to mark the other translations as
23 > outdated. I think it would be create to have a modified attribute
24 > [...]
25
26 Well, I'm no expert on Portage tree stuff of course, but isn't that a
27 bit too complex for the problem. I mean, if some description gets
28 changed so crucially that translations need to be updated -- which as
29 far as I understand shouldn't be too often -- wouldn't it be enough to
30 just drop the old translations? If you really need automatic
31 notification on changes in these things, cvs mailing list or CIA bot is
32 easy way to see them.
35 Flammie, Gentoo Linux Documentation's Finnish head translator.
36 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~flammie>