From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] punt PMS (was: Sets in the tree)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 22:19:56
1 On 08/14/2013 10:56 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
2 >
3 > If you want PMS to go away, and call portage the one-and-true PM for
4 > Gentoo, then it's probably something for the Council to decide.
7 I think that would make sense. We don't have enough resources for such
8 fun and overcoming PMS burdens has been a major concern for everyone who
9 is looking to improve basic functionality. In the end, people rather go
10 for eclass solutions or just give up. That has brought us to the current
11 discussion, to base.eclass and to the multilib eclasses with a very
12 painful way of migration. Mind that I am an author of one of those
13 eclasses as well, so I'm not generally objecting. But it's a fact that
14 portage multilib was held back basically by useless PMS politics, so
15 that we can support alternative PMs like paludis.
16
17 And that's not the only thing that is annoying about PMS and the
18 politics behind it.
19
20 Gentoo has become very slow in terms of decision making and progress.
21 GLEPs to improve security are "not implemented" for _years_ and people
22 have no idea whether we need a PMS section for that or not. It wasn't
23 really discussed and not one bothers anymore.