From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: hasufell@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] punt PMS (was: Sets in the tree)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 23:23:28
1 Dnia 2013-08-15, o godz. 00:19:40
2 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On 08/14/2013 10:56 PM, Markos Chandras wrote:
5 > >
6 > > If you want PMS to go away, and call portage the one-and-true PM for
7 > > Gentoo, then it's probably something for the Council to decide.
10 > I think that would make sense. We don't have enough resources for such
11 > fun and overcoming PMS burdens has been a major concern for everyone who
12 > is looking to improve basic functionality.
13
14 And do we have the resources to fix the tree every time someone decides
15 on an awesome improvement that obviously can't hurt anything?
16
17 > In the end, people rather go
18 > for eclass solutions or just give up. That has brought us to the current
19 > discussion, to base.eclass and to the multilib eclasses with a very
20 > painful way of migration. Mind that I am an author of one of those
21 > eclasses as well, so I'm not generally objecting. But it's a fact that
22 > portage multilib was held back basically by useless PMS politics, so
23 > that we can support alternative PMs like paludis.
24
25 If you mean that we should make the multilib-portage mess the official
26 way for people to obtain 32-bit wine, then deity-of-choice bless PMS!
29 Best regards,
30 Michał Górny