From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Email subdomain
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:23:22
1 Corey Shields wrote: [Fri Nov 18 2005, 10:42:30PM CST]
2 > Still screwed up. Lesson learned, make friends with a majority of the
3 > council, write and propose a glep the day before a meeting and then push it
4 > through. wow. sounds a lot like American politics.
5
6 That's quite an indictment. You've skipped right past the notion that
7 perhaps a mistake was made to accuse the Council of cronyism. As
8 somebody who's been part of devrel, and thus the recipient of exactly
9 that type of response more than once, I would think that you would have
10 known (and done) better.
11
12 Incidentally, the GLEP was originally revised and posted on glep.g.o on
13 11 November before the 2000 UTC deadline to request being added to the
14 agenda for the 15 Nov. meeting. When hparker updated the GLEP he made a
15 rookie mistake, and forgot to update the Post-History field, so when I
16 looked at the GLEP I assumed that it hadn't been updated. It's clear
17 that the GLEP authors assumed that they just needed to incorporate the
18 changes that the Council suggested, and that approval would be pro
19 forma. In fact, they should have submitted the GLEP to -dev for another
20 round of comments. Indeed, this GLEP reveals that there are a number of
21 misconceptions in how the GLEP process is supposed to work.
22
23 Here's what was supposed to happen. (Yes, it's my fault for not
24 ensuring that it did, and I very much apologize.) After a GLEP is
25 approved by the GLEP editor for posting to glep.g.o, the GLEP is sent to
26 -dev for comments. Sane disputes should then be incorporated into a
27 revision of the GLEP, where such disputes should be addressed and either
28 incorporated or rejected with an explanation of why. There were,
29 indeed, a number of disagreements with this GLEP when it was first
30 released, and they are not at all documented in the GLEP. This process
31 is iterated until some sort of steady state is reached, at which point
32 the GLEP authors are supposed to tell the GLEP editor that they are
33 ready for it to go up for approval. This step is actually fairly
34 important, since the GLEP editor is responsible for determining who the
35 "controlling authority" is for the GLEP. A full Council vote is only
36 needed on GLEPs that are cross-project (or that lack a project). Both
37 times that this GLEP went up for approval I should have been much more
38 assertive in stating that this GLEP was not yet ready. (It's not the
39 GLEP editor's place to prevent a GLEP from going up for approval,
40 however. The assumption is that a not-yet-ready GLEP will simply be
41 voted down.)
42
43 In any event, mistakes happen. The real question is what to do next.
44 This GLEP has been approved, for good or ill. Either the GLEP authors
45 can offer a revision that incorporates the disputes that are coming up
46 now (and that came up before but were never addressed),
47 or somebody can write a new GLEP that would supersede this one,
48 or people can just live with the current version. In any case, you have
49 my apology for not doing a very good job with this one.
50
51 -g2boojum-
52 --
53 Grant Goodyear
54 Gentoo Developer
55 g2boojum@g.o
56 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
57 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76