From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] laying out arch profiles
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 19:07:23
1 On 09-07-2007 11:47:45 -0700, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 18:47 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > you proposing we rearchitect it all or just for testing purposes before going
4 > > live ? i can see both ...
5 >
6 > I am proposing rethinking all of it. My current thoughts run something
7 > like this:
8
9 [snip]
10
11 > I'm creating an overlay for these profiles while I work on them, so we
12 > can easily get input on them and track the changes. I'd like to get
13 > input on this schema for the profiles before I commit anything and am
14 > definitely interested in getting input from anyone with any profile
15 > experience. Using an overlay will allow us to make changes (to base,
16 > for example) without disrupting the tree until we're ready.
17
18 While you're at it, in my own garden[1] I use some profile structure as
19 well. This is not relevant to the big public, I guess. However, might
20 be worth to keep it in the back of your head when designing new profile
21 structures, such that it in some way or another can be put into the
22 model using the same structure.
23
24 Thanks
27 [1]