From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] laying out arch profiles
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 18:51:44
1 On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 18:47 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > you proposing we rearchitect it all or just for testing purposes before going
3 > live ? i can see both ...
4
5 I am proposing rethinking all of it. My current thoughts run something
6 like this:
7
8 arch/amd64
9 arch/ppc (not ppc/ppc64 or ppc/ppc32)
10 base
11 default/linux
12 default/freebsd
13 default/macos
14 kernel/darwin
15 kernel/linux
16 kernel/freebsd
17 release/2007.1
18 target/desktop
19 target/server
20 userland (these aren't all the same type of thing)
21 userland/32-bit
22 userland/64-bit
23 userland/multilib
24 userland/freebsd
25 userland/hardened
26 userland/linux (this could be glibc, instead)
27 userland/macos
28 userland/no-nptl (not sure we really need this, at all)
29 userland/nptl (this either)
30 userland/selinux
31 userland/uclibc
32
33 Of course, this is just my rough outline. What you would end up with,
34 as a profile, is something like this:
35
36 default/linux/amd64/2007.1/desktop (not much different from now)
37
38 default inherits from base, then determines the parent path we take,
39 such as glibc over uclibc
40 linux is simple in this case since we're "default" meaning we'll have a
41 Linux kernel and glibc userland
42 amd64 is the architecture, of course... being "default" means it'll be
43 multilib automatically... this level should be the "highest" usable
44 level with the least amount of USE/etc enabled, as it should be only
45 what is required globally plus arch-specific
46 2007.1 is the release-specific profile and adds in the
47 changes/enhancements from that particular release
48 desktop is the target the profile is designed for, so it would have
49 additional USE enabled
50
51 I would also love to use package sets in some way in the profiles for
52 defining sets of packages that might be useful to the user without
53 forcing them into the "system" set for that profile. Some examples of
54 what I mean would be adding things like dhcpcd and gentoolkit to the
55 default "desktop" profile without them being in system, so they can be
56 easily removed by users that don't want them. This would, of course,
57 depend on the implementation used for package sets.
58
59 Taking the above example, to build a hardened server, you'd have
60 something like:
61
62 hardened/linux/amd64/2007.1/server (again not much different)
63
64 Of course, this is all just how I've been envisioning doing everything
65 and I'm sure other people have lots of ideas on their own.
66
67 I'm creating an overlay for these profiles while I work on them, so we
68 can easily get input on them and track the changes. I'd like to get
69 input on this schema for the profiles before I commit anything and am
70 definitely interested in getting input from anyone with any profile
71 experience. Using an overlay will allow us to make changes (to base,
72 for example) without disrupting the tree until we're ready.
75 Chris Gianelloni
76 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
77 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
78 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
79 Gentoo Foundation