From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] laying out arch profiles
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 22:50:37
1 On Thursday 05 July 2007, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 12:31 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > maintaining arch things across multiple operating systems is boring me so
4 > > i'd like to start moving to profiles that outline arch-specific details
5 > >
6 > > for example:
7 > > default-linux/parent:
8 > > ../base
9 > > default-linux/sh/parent:
10 > > ..
11 > > ../../arch/sh
12 > > arch/sh/parent:
13 > > ..
14 > > arch/parent -> none
15 > >
16 > > all of the arch-specific details would be moved out of base/ and into
17 > > arch/ (like altivec, sse, sse2, mmx, etc...) and then they can be
18 > > unmasked in the respective arch/$arch/ subdir
19 > >
20 > > this would be for 2007.1+ profiles and we can leave the old things in
21 > > place until we phase out 2007.0 and older completely
22 >
23 > This is actually something I was already planning on working on setting
24 > up. To avoid conflicting with the current profiles, I was planning on
25 > making a new profile tree. I wasn't planning on using it for 2007.1's
26 > official media, though, but rather just /experimental stuff, since I'd
27 > rather get much more testing on it before it goes "live" as the default.
28
29 you proposing we rearchitect it all or just for testing purposes before going
30 live ? i can see both ...
31 profiles/frags/
32 libc/uclibc/
33 libc/gclibc/