From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] laying out arch profiles
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 21:22:36
1 On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 12:31 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > maintaining arch things across multiple operating systems is boring me so i'd
3 > like to start moving to profiles that outline arch-specific details
4 >
5 > for example:
6 > default-linux/parent:
7 > ../base
8 > default-linux/sh/parent:
9 > ..
10 > ../../arch/sh
11 > arch/sh/parent:
12 > ..
13 > arch/parent -> none
14 >
15 > all of the arch-specific details would be moved out of base/ and into arch/
16 > (like altivec, sse, sse2, mmx, etc...) and then they can be unmasked in the
17 > respective arch/$arch/ subdir
18 >
19 > this would be for 2007.1+ profiles and we can leave the old things in place
20 > until we phase out 2007.0 and older completely
21
22 This is actually something I was already planning on working on setting
23 up. To avoid conflicting with the current profiles, I was planning on
24 making a new profile tree. I wasn't planning on using it for 2007.1's
25 official media, though, but rather just /experimental stuff, since I'd
26 rather get much more testing on it before it goes "live" as the default.
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
31 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
32 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
33 Gentoo Foundation