From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] laying out arch profiles
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:31:31
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 18:47 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >> you proposing we rearchitect it all or just for testing purposes before going
4 >> live ? i can see both ...
5 >
6 > I am proposing rethinking all of it. My current thoughts run something
7 > like this:
8 >
9 > arch/amd64
10 > arch/ppc (not ppc/ppc64 or ppc/ppc32)
11 > base
12 > default/linux
13 > default/freebsd
14 > default/macos
15 > kernel/darwin
16 > kernel/linux
17 > kernel/freebsd
18 > release/2007.1
19 > target/desktop
20 > target/server
21 > userland (these aren't all the same type of thing)
22 > userland/32-bit
23 > userland/64-bit
24 > userland/multilib
25 > userland/freebsd
26 > userland/hardened
27 > userland/linux (this could be glibc, instead)
28 > userland/macos
29 > userland/no-nptl (not sure we really need this, at all)
30 > userland/nptl (this either)
31 > userland/selinux
32 > userland/uclibc
33 >
34 > Of course, this is just my rough outline. What you would end up with,
35 > as a profile, is something like this:
36 >
37 > default/linux/amd64/2007.1/desktop (not much different from now)
38
39 I kinda thought up a system like this long ago, but it was more in line with
40 node-based profiles. And wou;d've required gutting the current profile code in
41 portage entirely. The idea being that, you construct the profile up in nodes
42 from the top level (much like one does their PATH variable), and the profiles
43 would be re-arranged into things like arch/, libc/, kernel/, etc.. In a way, I
44 re-organized mips' 2007.1-dev profiles to quasi reflect how we'd look in such a
45 layout.
46
47 But I like this idea -- it goes halfway towards nodes to some extent (at least
48 lines things up for nodes or some other implementation that maybe treats parents
49 better).
50
51 antarus even had a small draft document up on it that's better in detail:
52 http://dev.gentoo.org/~antarus/essays/mixin-profiles.txt
53 (later on, it was decided that there would have to be a pre-defined order for
54 the first four nodes: base:arch:kernel:userland, and these first four nodes
55 could not repeat. Everything thereon after was swappable and allowed to be
56 placed in any order, such as base:mips:linux:glibc:ip30:o32 (where o32/ip30 can
57 be swapped around))
58
59 But I definitely see this as a 2008.0 thing at the earliest. I also see no
60 problem with mips joining in on the fun to play with things either!
63 --Kumba
66 Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
67
68 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
69 do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
70 --
71 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list