From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:41:01
1 On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 20:54 -0700, Duncan wrote:
2 > I appreciate the distinction between hotplug/coldplug/unplugged that I
3 > believe you are trying to make, but the possibility does indeed still
4 > count.
5
6 Actually, it does not. I will explain below where it fits best.
7
8 > What happens if a situationally critical pluggable device is plugged in at
9 > boot? I don't have a laptop so this particular usual example doesn't
10 > affect me personally, but I understand it's a big deal for a significant
11 > segment of the user base. Some laptop users may use pluggable NICs (wired
12 > or wireless) and expect the machine to boot to network if they are in at
13 > boot (coldplugged), yet want the flexibility of booting no-net if it's not
14 > plugged at boot. That requires modules and a "coldplug" solution, or it
15 > won't support either the unplugged at boot option (if the module is
16 > built-in or loaded unconditionally using modules.autoload) or the plugged
17 > at boot (coldplug) option (if it's loaded only with hotplug, no coldplug
18 > script existing).
19
20 Adding the module to modules.autoload does not mean it will always load.
21 It means it will always *try* to load. There is an important
22 distinction between the two.
23
24 > Personally, I prefer as small a "core" kernel as possible, with only
25 > keyboard/input and my IDE and fs modules being built-in, to avoid initrd,
26 > and everything else possible being modularized, including rtc and a few
27 > other modules I load using modules.autoload and never unload. Other
28 > modules (alsa and sound hardware, mainly) get loaded at boot either by
29 > coldplug or by autoload, but I like the flexibility of being able to
30 > reload them or simply unload them if need be.
31
32 You still haven't given any argument for why "coldplug" is necessary,
33 since you mention that you could easily use modules.autoload to do this.
34
35 > That's one of the good things about Linux and open source in general -- it
36 > maintains far more admin level choice than typical commercial products, so
37 > those that want it all built-in can have it that way, while those that
38 > like slimmed down systems or load all the modules at boot but like the
39 > flexibility can have it that way as well. Typical commercial products
40 > choose one or the other for supportability reasons, regardless of the
41 > needs or desires of an individual installation/admin.
42
43 I totally agree.
44
45 > However, I suppose this is getting off topic for the thread..
48 Chris Gianelloni
49 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
50 Games - Developer
51 Gentoo Linux