From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 03:55:29
1 Tamas Sarga posted <Pine.LNX.4.58.0411161734520.18945@××××.hu>, excerpted
2 below, on Tue, 16 Nov 2004 17:42:17 +0100:
5 > On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Douglas Pollock wrote:
8 >> On Tuesday November 16 2004 10:13 am, Daniel Drake wrote:
9 >> > I personally did not anticipate it affecting many people (if you are
10 >> > going to load a module on every boot up, why not just build it
11 >> > directly into the kernel).
12 >>
13 >> Another possibility is that it is a driver for a pluggable device. If
14 >> the device is not plugged in, then there is no need for the module to
15 >> be loaded.
16 >>
17 > [That] possibility [doesn't] count at this case. This function will work
18 > with the new hotplug, only the startup won't. Hotplug will listen for
19 > *plug-in* events, and load approproate moduls, but when a device is
20 > attached to your computer when you boot, there won't be *plug-in* event.
21 > The main advantage of this that the boot procedure will be shorter,
22 > 'cause hotplug won't search for devices on all port/bus/etc.
23
24 I appreciate the distinction between hotplug/coldplug/unplugged that I
25 believe you are trying to make, but the possibility does indeed still
26 count.
27
28 What happens if a situationally critical pluggable device is plugged in at
29 boot? I don't have a laptop so this particular usual example doesn't
30 affect me personally, but I understand it's a big deal for a significant
31 segment of the user base. Some laptop users may use pluggable NICs (wired
32 or wireless) and expect the machine to boot to network if they are in at
33 boot (coldplugged), yet want the flexibility of booting no-net if it's not
34 plugged at boot. That requires modules and a "coldplug" solution, or it
35 won't support either the unplugged at boot option (if the module is
36 built-in or loaded unconditionally using modules.autoload) or the plugged
37 at boot (coldplug) option (if it's loaded only with hotplug, no coldplug
38 script existing).
41 Personally, I prefer as small a "core" kernel as possible, with only
42 keyboard/input and my IDE and fs modules being built-in, to avoid initrd,
43 and everything else possible being modularized, including rtc and a few
44 other modules I load using modules.autoload and never unload. Other
45 modules (alsa and sound hardware, mainly) get loaded at boot either by
46 coldplug or by autoload, but I like the flexibility of being able to
47 reload them or simply unload them if need be.
48
49 That's one of the good things about Linux and open source in general -- it
50 maintains far more admin level choice than typical commercial products, so
51 those that want it all built-in can have it that way, while those that
52 like slimmed down systems or load all the modules at boot but like the
53 flexibility can have it that way as well. Typical commercial products
54 choose one or the other for supportability reasons, regardless of the
55 needs or desires of an individual installation/admin.
56
57 However, I suppose this is getting off topic for the thread..
61 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
62 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
63 Benjamin Franklin
68 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list