From: Tamas Sarga <tamas@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: dpollock@×××.org
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Conveying important upgrade messages to user community
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:42:34
1 On Tue, 16 Nov 2004, Douglas Pollock wrote:
4 > On Tuesday November 16 2004 10:13 am, Daniel Drake wrote:
5 > > We put ewarn messages in the ebuild to warn about this change. We put
6 > > comments in the hotplug init.d script to warn about this change. I
7 > > personally did not anticipate it affecting many people (if you are going to
8 > > load a module on every boot up, why not just build it directly into the
9 > > kernel).
10 >
11 > One possibility is that the module does not exist in the kernel driver tree
12 > (third-party). Another possibility is that it is a driver for a pluggable
13 > device. If the device is not plugged in, then there is no need for the
14 > module to be loaded. A third possibility is that the driver is buggy, and
15 > that -- in the event of a problem -- reloading the module can sometimes
16 > correct problems.
20 > cheers,
21 > d.
24 Hi,
25 2nd possibility doesn't count at this case. This function will work with
26 the new hotplug, only the startup won't. Hotplug will listen for
27 *plug-in* events, and load approproate moduls, but when a device is
28 attached to your computer when you boot, there won't be *plug-in* event.
29 The main advantage of this that the boot procedure will be shorter,
30 'cause hotplug won't search for devices on all port/bus/etc.
31
32 TIA.
33 Cheers,
34 Tamas Sarga
35 --
36 A day is 24 hours long. Egy nap 24 órából áll.
37 A box of beer contains 24 bottles. Egy tálcán 24 üveg sör van.
38 I don't believe in coincidence. Nem hiszek a véletlen egybeesésekben.
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list