From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Brainstorming how to collaboratively work on kernels
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 02:07:44
1 On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 19:36, Brian Jackson wrote:
2 > So one of my big goals for my time as kernel tlp manager is to come up with a
3 > way to have more than one person responsible for each Gentoo kernel. It's
4 > been to the point in the past where a Gentoo kernel wasn't actively
5 > maintained. That shouldn't happen in a project this size. I've finally gotten
6 > some more kernel devs coming on board, so now all I have to do is come up
7 > with a way to allow them to do their jobs.
8 >
9 > The main problem is I can't come up with a way to handle this well.
10 >
11 > We can't really subject cvs.gentoo.org to the kind of abuse that 5 kernel
12 > trees would introduce. Subversion isn't an option (and I'd assume that arch,
13 > and others isn't either).
14 >
15 > So, I come to you to help me brainstorm. Any good ideas, let me know.
16
17 How much abuse do you think it would honestly be? Would it be worth
18 setting up a kernel.gentoo.org cvs repository just for you guys? I tend
19 to think that the kernels are a very important item for Gentoo, and
20 something you probably hear the most complaining about when they fall
21 even the slightest bit behind in version.
24 Chris Gianelloni
25 Developer, Gentoo Linux
26 Games Team
27