From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [QA] New policy: 'files' directory must not be larger than 32 KiB
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 13:34:50
1 On Wed, Dec 20, 2017 at 4:42 AM, Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 16:00:16 -0500
3 > "Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> However, what alternative do we have to throwing the patches up in a
6 >> devspace?
7 >
8 > mirror://gentoo, aka /space/distfiles-local/
11 That isn't a great option. This has been discussed previously:
12
13 https://lists.gt.net/gentoo/dev/224673?do=post_view_threaded
14
15 https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/mirrors/index.html#suitable-download-hosts
18 I would point out that a devspace isn't the only alternative -
19 anything stable would be reasonable.
20
21 Also, to avoid an additional reply I'll just comment on the
22 reservations about hosting stuff on github. While a Gentoo archive
23 would certainly be preferable, keep in mind that when we're talking
24 about hosting a src_uri the only function github is actually
25 performing is to act as a webserver. There are a lot of reasonable
26 objections to depending on github since it is closed-source, but most
27 of those objections pertain more to the issue/pull-request tracking
28 features of github. If all you're using it to do is to host URLs or
29 repositories then I suspect that all the associated software is
30 open-source anyway, most likely (though I do not believe github
31 discloses what they actually use). Most of us probably wouldn't
32 notice if a random src_uri in our repository is pointing at an IIS
33 server, for example. I'd just be careful about knee-jerk reactions.
34 That aside, there are a lot of good reasons to host our own archives,
35 with the unreliability of ANY external host being one of them.
38 Rich