From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: "Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [QA] New policy: 'files' directory must not be larger than 32 KiB
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 09:43:02
1 On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 16:00:16 -0500
2 "Aaron W. Swenson" <titanofold@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 2017-12-17 14:21, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Total size of 'files' subdirectory of a package should not be
6 > > larger than 32 KiB. If the package needs more auxiliary files, they
7 > > should be put into SRC_URI e.g. via tarballs.
8 >
9 > I don’t have any strong opinions about this either way.
10
11 note that the announcement fails to mention why this has been a
12 self-imposed rule on some packages for a long time: tools like quilt or
13 git are made to track large patchsets. Once scripting is in place, it is
14 much more convenient to generate patch tarballs from those tools; epatch
15 supporting numbered patchsets and applying them all is great for that
16 too.
17
18 > However, what alternative do we have to throwing the patches up in a
19 > devspace?
20
21 mirror://gentoo, aka /space/distfiles-local/
22
23 > Having previously done so with dev-db/postgresql, it was annoying
24 > having to fix the SRC_URI because I wasn’t the one who did a slot
25 > bump.
26
27 or even that way: you can add several URIs for the same file, e.g.:
28 SRC_URI="pecker/~deva/patches.tar.bz2 pecker/~devb/patches.tar.bz2"
29
30 mirrors will pick the one available and usually users wont be impacted
31 by a 404 delay if devb hosts the patches; but I would still recommend
32 distfiles-local, esp. since it autocleans when the file is not used
33 anymore.