From: Ben Lutgens <blutgens@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Porting gentoo to the Alpha
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 06:11:56
1 On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 06:18:51PM -0400, derosa wrote:
2 >E3 that's the editor written in assembler right ?
3 >I will just make vim part of the base system tarball for the alpha port,
4 >other items will of course have to change also, no more grub or lilo, and I
5 >will have to add milo for booting.
6 >I will continue to play with the latest snapshots.
7 >
8 >I also had an idea, for people stuck behind a nasty firewall, or no internet
9 >connection, that want to build everything.
10 >
11 >Have a special build cd, that has a 'snapshot' of the distfiles needed for a
12 >build, and emerge system. And the snapshot from cvs equivolent to whats on
13 >the disk. I have been using this method, on a couple of boxes at work, and
14 >it seems to work well for me. I use the build cd as a base, and just add the
15 >build tarball, and cvs tarball along with the distfiles.
16
17 I for one second this, I'd think the only source that needed to be on the
18 cd would be the stuff bootstrap.sh needed, the kernel source, pcmcia
19 source and a "base system" Granted it would increase the size of the
20 build.iso but it would indeed be worth it.
21
22 Thoughts?
27 >Joe
28 >
29 >> > I have recently set up an alpha machine running rh 7.1. I would like to
30 >port
31 >> > gentoo to the alpha chipset. My questions: Are there any parts of the
32 >> > portage tree that are binary ? Would it make more sense to start from
33 >rc6
34 >> > build or rc5 build ?
35 >>
36 >> Um; the e3 editor won't work for you. That's a minor issue. Other than
37 >that,
38 >> you should be OK. Start with an rc6 build image in about a week.
44 >gentoo-dev mailing list
45 >gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org