From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] coldplug and hotplug
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 10:37:42
1 On Wednesday 03 May 2006 10:37, Jakub Moc wrote:
2 > Roy Marples wrote:
3 > > RC_HOTPLUG="yes|no"
4 > > RC_COLDPLUG="yes|no"
5 > > RC_PLUG_SERVICES="net.wlan !net.*"
6 > >
7 > > or
8 > >
9 > > RC_HOTPLUG="yes|no|net.wlan !net.*"
10 > > RC_COLDPLUG="yes|no|net.wlan !net.*"
11 >
12 > I'm afraid I don't get the exact difference :P, but what about honoring
13 > both yes|no and list of services.
14
15 Well, the first example is my new idea
16 The second example is what we used todo (before the last patch I wanged in),
17 but one day some bright spark may create a service called "no" and expect it
18 to be coldpluggable ....
19
20 pre19-r1 is like RC_COLDPLUG="*" and doesn't honour yes/no, hence this email.
23 > Anyway, what we really need is ability to turn off that coldplug thing
24 > *completely* on *udev* level and restore some sanity. I really don't
25 > need to have my TV card coldplugged at the point when /dev is being
26 > populated by devices (e.g.,  Bug 130766 or Bug 128962).
27
28 Not going to help 128962 as the firewire module is already loaded and has
29 taken eth0 ....
32 > Also I'd like to note that coldplugging network devices in such way may
33 > be a security risk as well, as firewall gets started much later than net
34 > gets started. There's Bug 119613 about this. There was also Bug 78495
35 > about this, got solved on hotplug level, but the latest udev versions
36 > moved the problem to coldplug level instead (even worse IMHO).
37
38 Add your firewall script to the boot runlevel and depend like so
39
40 depend() {
41    before net
42 }
43
44 Solved!
47 > Last point - there's also that hotplug_$iface="no" thing in
48 > /etc/conf.d/net - wouldn't it be better to all keep network-related
49 > settings in one place? I.e., adding coldplug_$iface="yes|no" there
50 > instead, and use RC_{HOTPLUG,COLDPLUG} in /etc/conf.d/rc for other
51 > services only?
52
53 hotplug_$iface was a fudge, a very bad idea that has been removed baelayout.
54 If baselayout is to have any hotplug/coldplug control it should be on a
55 service level and not just a network level.
59 Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
60 Gentoo/Linux Developer (baselayout, networking)
63 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list