From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] coldplug and hotplug
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 11:29:32
1 Roy Marples wrote:
2 >> Anyway, what we really need is ability to turn off that coldplug thing
3 >> *completely* on *udev* level and restore some sanity. I really don't
4 >> need to have my TV card coldplugged at the point when /dev is being
5 >> populated by devices (e.g., Bug 130766 or Bug 128962).
6 >
7 > Not going to help 128962 as the firewire module is already loaded and has
8 > taken eth0 ....
9
10 Well, it should not be loaded first of all... Hence why I want to have
11 an ability to turn off the coldplug thing *completely* on udev level. I
12 don't have any use for such automagic stuff, it just complicates things
13 instead of making them easier. Blacklisting every single module that
14 gets coldplugged for whatever weird reason is not a sane way to work
15 around a problem that doesn't need to exist in the first place. Also,
16 it's not really clear what determines whether something gets coldplugged
17 or not. As said, the devices range from TV cards over NICs to USB
18 sticks... Uh. :/
19
20 >> Also I'd like to note that coldplugging network devices in such way may
21 >> be a security risk as well, as firewall gets started much later than net
22 >> gets started. There's Bug 119613 about this. There was also Bug 78495
23 >> about this, got solved on hotplug level, but the latest udev versions
24 >> moved the problem to coldplug level instead (even worse IMHO).
25 >
26 > Add your firewall script to the boot runlevel and depend like so
27 >
28 > depend() {
29 > before net
30 > }
31 >
32 > Solved!
35 iptables already has "before net", doesn't exactly help. Well, I don't
36 need net on boot level first of all and I didn't set it to be launched
37 at that runlevel. The runlevel setting gets ignored, however.
38
39 > hotplug_$iface was a fudge, a very bad idea that has been removed baelayout.
40 > If baselayout is to have any hotplug/coldplug control it should be on a
41 > service level and not just a network level.
42
43 Well yeah, as noted above, we are just probably solving the thing in a
44 wrong place to work around udev problem.
49 jakub