From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 20:33:18
1 On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 3:27 PM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 02/14/2016 09:17 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 2:41 PM, Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> On Sun, 14 Feb 2016 11:00:30 -0500
5 >>> Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>>> On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
8 >>>> wrote:
9 >>>>> If, for any reason, eudev should be abandoned - we can just change
10 >>>>> the virtual back. One-line change.
11 >>>> Which is precisely the corresponding argument for not switching the
12 >>>> default to eudev in the first place.
13 >>>>
14 >>> OH, my, this is looking more like you are being paid by systemd peeps...
15 >> Nobody has ever paid me to do anything involving open-source software,
16 >> systemd or otherwise.
17 >>
18 >> My point is just that there is no need to change today, because:
19 >> 1. udev works just fine today
20 >> 2. If udev doesn't work just fine in the future, we can just change
21 >> the virtual. One-line change.
22 >>
23 >> That's all. I'm not saying that there might not be other reasons to
24 >> change the virtual.
25 >>
26 >> I'm just saying that the possibility that udev might break in the
27 >> future isn't any more a reason to change the virtual than the
28 >> possibility that eudev might be abandoned in the future.
29 >>
30 >> I love it when Patrick violently agrees with me. :)
31 >>
32 > Eh yes. If we can avoid a problem we better wait until there is visible
33 > breakage so we can heroically run around like headless chickens and
34 > people see that we do something.
35
36 I think you were the first to suggest that if eudev gets abandoned it
37 isn't a big deal. I just pointed out that same is true if udev gets
38 abandoned.
39
40 > Why are you so insistent on controlling something that doesn't even
41 > affect you?
42
43 I'm not controlling anything. I'm just offering my opinion. Nobody
44 is bound by it.
45
46 > As far as users are concerned, most don't care and won't see a
47 > difference, and those that care seem to be strongly in support of having
48 > eudev ...
49
50 And that would be a valid reason to default to eudev, as opposed to
51 fear that udev might just stop working some day.
54 Rich