From: Aaron Bauman <bman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 03:54:00
1 Please provide substantial evidence for your claims. Furthermore, a profile of your choice would be honorable.
2
3 On July 19, 2018 9:58:25 PM EDT, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 9:42 PM Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
5 >wrote:
6 >>
7 >> On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 16:51:17 -0500 Ben Kohler wrote:
8 >> > Hello,
9 >> >
10 >> > I'd like to propose adding USE=udev to our linux profiles (in
11 >> > profiles/default/linux/make.defaults probably). This flag is
12 >already
13 >> > enabled on desktop profiles but it also affects quite a few
14 >packages
15 >> > used on non-desktop linux systems.
16 >> >
17 >>
18 >> I have server setups with udev disabled for most packages. So udev
19 >> enabled by default will create maintenance problems. While I'm
20 >> perfectly fine with udev enabled by default on desktops, it should
21 >> not be forced on minimalistic setups like servers or containers.
22 >
23 >80% of the servers on the planet are running a linux distro, and 99%
24 >of those are probably running udev. Gentoo is probably the only
25 >distro where making udev the (trivially disabled) default is even
26 >remotely controversial.
27 >
28 >Maybe we need some kind of ultra-minimal profile for people who really
29 >don't want anything installed if they didn't put it there. It seems
30 >odd to make that sort of configuration our "base" as it really isn't a
31 >normal configuration by any standard.
32 >
33 >There is nothing wrong with people who want to start with a minimal
34 >profile. I just don't think it makes a lot of sense to have that as a
35 >default starting point. There is no reason that "base" needs to be a
36 >subset of all the other profiles.
37 >
38 >If for some reason we don't go with this, perhaps it would at least
39 >make sense to have a server profile that enables it by default and
40 >make base something that normal users are discouraged from using.
41 >
42 >--
43 >Rich
46 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.